Monday, September 19, 2011

World Carfree Day is Thursday the 22nd

This Thursday is World Carfree Day.

What does that mean to you? At the very least, it may be a opportune time for you to think/act responsibly and bike or walk to the places you need to go that day...maybe the store, school, bike to school with your kids, walk, bike to the gym, bike to the bus stop and take the bus to work, walk to work, bike to a restaurant...well you get the message.

Give it a try, you may just get hooked. You know the benefits.



Here in the Kansas City area,  on Thursday night, I will be attending Dinner and Bikes.

Celebrate World Car Free Day on September 22nd with an evening of dinner and bikes, and BikeWalkKC. We are delighted to be sponsoring the Kansas City stop of the Dinner and Bikes Tour. Three cyclists are touring the western states to talk about bike culture and the bike economy, and to prepare a delicious vegan dinner for our guests.


Writer Elly Blue, filmmaker Joe Biel, and travelling chef Joshua Ploeg will entertain us with photos, short films, and a great meal. This is a great opportunity to learn about bike culture in other cities and meet new folks right here at home.
Dinner and Bikes Tour Stops in Kansas City
Thursday, September 22nd, 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
EventPort in the Crossroads Arts District
208 West 19th Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64108
Tickets $10 advance, $15 at the door (BikeWalkKC members get 50% discount)

More info? This is a note from Elly to me...

"Hi Bill,

Thanks a lot --
Here's our description of the event:http://
ramblingroadshow.com/archives/104

And here's a very charming write-up by our hosts in Vegas: http://lvzinelibrary.blogspot.com/2011/09/dinner-bikes-few-pictures-many-memories.html

And then here's my write-up about Vegas... maybe something KC folks can relate to? http://www.blogger.com/goog_1169026318
Looking forward to meeting you,
Elly"

Thanks Elly, we are looking forward to meeting you all too!


Sometimes carfree commuting involves using
multiple modes of transportation like: Bike to the bus,
take bus, then bike to work. This just adds to the
adventure.
 For me, everyday is World Carfree Day. I love this life style and talk about it every chance I get.

May people like the idea, but are not sure how to try living carfree or at the very least carlite (owning a car, but using it on a limited basis).

I am here to say it is not hard at all. You all know how to walk. And I think most of you know how to ride a bike (if not call me and I will teach you immediately!). And I am sure you all know how to ride a bus or train.


All kids live carfree and love it!
 Living carfree is alot of fun. It makes every trip you take more like an adventure, or being on vacation, seriously, it is awesome! It does take more time in many cases, but it is time well spent considering the benefits to; your health, the environment, and your community.

Kids live this way, so can you.


All you need is good pair of walking shoes. A bike, and you do not need to spend alot. Bikes are very personal, I would recommend a mountain bike...or a touring bike for your carfree lifestyle. Both are made tough and can be adjusted for your urban commutes.

I use a Trek 820 mountain bike I bought 4 years ago for $289.00, I think they are $329.00 now. I have modified it over the years, and it is my bike of choice for commuting, mountain biking, gravel riding, work outs, long distance touring, well...everything. It is an excellent bike, and very strong. I have at least 20,000 miles on it and have added stronger wheels, platform pedals, tires, tire liners, rear rack, fenders, seat, bar ends, and probably replaced most of the parts on it as over the years I have worn parts out by bicycling 365 days a year. If you have a bike use it. If you do not, get something simple, tough, inexpensive. Stay away from "comfort bikes." Go with a lower end mountain or road bike...it you go with a road bike, make sure it can handle wider tires and has the ability to hold a rack. I use Arkel racks and bags to carry my gear in.

This is my friend Thad Carson who is a mailman and
entrepreneur and full time bike commuter. Here he is running
errands with his son.

So go have some fun. If you have questions ask me hear and I will respond.

Peace, Bill

If you explore this site, you will find 20+ people who live this life style, lots of good articles and resources, and check out some of our sponsors. If find value in this site and would would like to donate we would appreciate the help!

No comments:

Post a Comment